How to get a Social Insurance Number (S.I.N.)

To register your RESP and benefit from government grants like the Canada Education Savings Grant (CESG) or the Canada Learning Bond (CLB), a Social Insurance Number is required for both you and your child. If your child doesn’t yet have one, it’s best to apply before or as soon as you open your RESP. You only have 18 months to apply for the SIN from the day the plan is opened. To get a SIN, you can:

Download the application

Download the SIN Application and return the completed application, along with required documents (originals only; photocopies are not accepted) by mail or in-person to any Service Canada Centre.